Sunday, October 12, 2008

Amazing Spanish Rice (also gluten free!)

I'll have you know, if I post a recipe - you should try it, because it is really good. I may not be the best photog but I is a good cooker :)



(Fancy gourds courtesy of my in-laws)
So here it is, I'd double it though because you will want to eat it for dessert, that is, if everything you typically eat for dessert has been taken away by one wicked doctor, a blood test, genetics and your husband and kids are snacking away on really yummy looking cookies :) ...
  • 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
  • 1 cup uncooked white rice
  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 1/2 green bell pepper, chopped
  • 2 cups chicken stock
  • 1 (10 ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles (we didn't use this as we are not big tomato fans)
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder, or to taste
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 clove garlic minced
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • parsley to taste (actually I just like the splash of color :) )

  1. Heat oil in a deep skillet over medium heat. Saute rice, onion, and bell pepper until rice is browned and onions are tender.
  2. Stir in water and tomatoes. Add seasonings. Cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, or until rice is cooked and liquid is absorbed.

2 comments:

thepainterfamily said...

natalie....I'm sad for you, but I have to say, it looks like you are still putting your culinary prowess to good use coming up with yummy substitutes for the food you miss! :) YUM! you should start a recipe blog! :)

Shanna and Brent said...

Natalie... I'm pretty sure I'm in the same boat as you, gotta love those Gordon genes, I havn't been tested but of course I have all the symptons >sigh<. Although, I am still in HUGE denial, much to the chagrin of my dad and sister and brothers (who all have it, by the way) so I LOVE the gluten free recipes you are posting, since I'm sure there will come a day when I will jump on the bandwagon!!!