My Dad makes the best nachos. As a kid I was pretty sure that he made those big plates of nachos so delicious so I would come share with him. He had some magic trick. I don't know what it was but I can't make nachos as good tasting as he did - maybe things taste better when you are stealing/sneaking/sharing??? We'd eat our crackers and cookies and cake and toast and brownies and muffins and cinnamon rolls and doughnuts in front of him and he couldn't have any, of course because he has celiac (it was only him when we were kids, now 3/5 have been struck). We'd watch him eat his sponge bread and rice cakes with peanut butter 'n jelly and cringe but the second he started making nachos - we converged. And he let us. He had to watch us eat things a million times yummier all day long but whatever he had, if we wanted it, he'd share.
I had these thoughts the other day as I was eating a cinnamon roll from
my favorite gf bakery - that I don't get to visit very often and they only make cinnamon rolls once a week and they are a little spendy, so I was REALLY excited about my cinnamon roll - I really like cinnamon rolls, can you tell? So I get to the best part of my roll - the center, where it's ooey gooey deliciousness is simply heavenly - and they converged. I thought of my Dad and his nachos and cut off a big slab for each kiddo - I know they have no idea how much I love them and what sacrifice it is to be a parent (not just cinnamon roll centers :) ) but I'm hoping someday they will look back and see that Mom shared her cinnamon roll and they will share with their little convergers too.
3 comments:
Oh, you are kind. I always tell my kids, "no, this is gluten free" and try to find them something else gluten-filled to satisfy them.
I'm jealous you have a gluten free bakery close by! I keep dreaming about someone opening one here!
Such a sweet post Natalie. You made me cry. I think that is the true meaning of love. Sharing the best parts of life/things/food with others, even though you could happily have it all to yourself...even if it is just a cinnamon roll.
Hi Natalie, this is a beautiful post. It makes me want to be a better mom. Does this mean I need to share my milano cookies and cadbury eggs? Hmm, that may be going too far. :) But really, thanks for your beautiful thoughts on sacrifice and unconditional love. And I love these pictures too.
Post a Comment