Saturday, February 14, 2009

A Comparison on The Day of Love


(Clearly this picture wasn't taken on Valentines day (I haven't figured out how to work the scanner yet... ) this was the closest I could get - it's just a few months before so it counts, I said so, I'm the mom. Yes, I'm wearing overalls, sorry 'bout that...)

Bug Man and I had our first date in October of 2002, it was perfection. 'Love at first sight' or ummm, fifth sight :) By Valentines we were engaged and making plans. Brandon set himself up for permanent future failure that year, the rest of his life, Valentines day would be judged upon that day.
Set Stage:
Brandon, living with his parents while he went to school and worked, has set up the basement as follows: 2 sheets tacked to the ceiling to provide privacy for the young couple in love, the entrance is between the sheets (he he he, I didn't plan that but now I can't read it w/o laughing...) upon entering you find a candlelit table set with china and flowers. He has prepared a dinner (all by himself!!!) of White Lasagna and broccoli (I love broccoli and here my memory is getting a little foggy... I can't remember what else:( and some sort of dessert... ) He has done his research and found her favorite chocolate and favorite movie, what man doesn't want watch 'An Affair to Remember' curled up with the woman he loves??? Good amount of kissing, endlessly verbalizing love and thoughts on eternity, the man drives the woman home and there is more of the aforementioned. End Scene.

New Scene: February 14, 2009. Little preparation involved the couple drops off their two children with friends (we always opt for the day date - we aren't night owls like the good old days) and catches a matinee at the $2 theater ' Yes Man.' The couple leaves the theater to wander a health food store, grabs a hamburger which they eat in the car and a few hours later, pick up their children to go home and go their separate ways. Hers leads her to clean and put pink icing on a dozen gf sugar cookies. His leads him to the couples bedroom where the computer and the NBA Slam Dunk competition holds his attention when he isn't being used as a jungle gym for the 2 1/2 year old and the 4 1/2 year old. Evening comes to the house and they 'playfully' argue over the acceptability of pulling up the woman's shirt to put a frozen water bottle on the woman's nice warm back. Payback on the babysitting and night arrives, with a kiss and an I love you, the couple falls into blissful sleep and happy dreaming. End Scene.

Was it a good day? Wonderful.
Would I trade it for the up and down hormonal roller coaster of those times? Nope, well, okay sometimes :)

4 comments:

Alexis said...

Boy how times have changed huh? I remember the pre kids valentines day being a lot more romantic. Instead of having a romantic evening we took the kids out to dinner, then watched a movie once the kids were in bed. Maybe they will get romantic again once the kids get older right?

thepainterfamily said...

haha! love this comparison...but you're right...it still sounds pretty wonderful to me too! :)

Jessica Brown said...

Ha ha! I loved this post! And I love both stories. Both are great!

izzorch said...

I second that! Love from Idaho,
Annie