I believe mothers specialize in nagging. It is the only way things happen to our satisfaction and proper timing. I prefer to call it gently nudging. Kind of like when you are pregnant and you first feel your baby kicking. It starts out so little, just little whispers of a flutter against you. Then as the fetus grows those flutters become a little more noticeable and grow even still to be, well, rather unpleasant, particularly around your internal organs that are unaccustomed to being assaulted by feet. I regularly "nudge" members of my family, the way my mother nudged me, her mother did her and so on, throughout all of human existence, with the possible exception of the Garden of Eden. Eve doesn't seem like a gentle nudger, not until they got kicked out of there anyway, I like to think of her as more of a do-it-yourselfer...
For my wonderful children and husband the initial nudge is so gentle and sweet - they are my soft little flutterings and whisper sweet voice. Then it grows, depending on the importance of the issue it can grow exponentially and other flutters just turn into nudges and grow into taps - at times incessant tapping, not unlike the torture we inflicted as children involving sitting on someone and "tapping" their forehead until they can name 10 cereals.
I conclude these thoughts with one thing remaining unsaid which I dedicate to my dearest nudger, who nudged and tapped me through the first 25 years and 11 months of my existence.
Mother, I gargled hot salt water and dang it all, it worked.

8 comments:
Don't you hate when that happens? But grateful you listened. Thats a cute picture of you two.
It's nasty, but it works!
Great read! I hope that it doesnt take my kids that long to figure things out... how bout NOW!!
Ahhhh my precious Nattie, you have such a way with words!! Another way to look at your closing comments is that I had to 'encourage' for 25 years to get one of my kids to try such a simple thing! You are a delight to my soul!
That was so great I read it twice. Glad to know it works.
haha! you're awesome! I just love reading your blog! :)
Hillarious! Thanks for the laugh. Its so true about the nagging thing. We wouldn't have to nag if people would just do what we say when we want! I like the "gentle nudge" I'm going to use that one around here more often. "It's not nagging honey, its just a gentle nudge".
P.S. Cute blog!
natalie i just have to say i love you!!!
Post a Comment